This week my husband and I only had time to watch one Disney Classic. Fantasia is the third Disney animated film that came out. I love Fantasia 2000, so I was excited to watch the 1940’s version.
Before I get into the trivia, I want to give my review of the movie. It was amazing. The first piece is my favorite, with the Sorcerer’s Apprentice coming in second. I love the way the Disney animators combined the music and the animation. The stories and music go so well together. To have seen this in the theater would have been awesome, especially with Fantasound! Some scenes are pretty scary for young ones, but I have heard some of those were edited out. I am not sure which version I watched since the original 1940’s version is so hard to come by and controversial. My version did not have the black stereotyped centaurs scene but the female centaurs were naked while bathing.
Fantasia Fun Facts
- The primeval Earth scene was filmed using a mixture of porridge, mud, and other ingredients and was enhanced by animation; apart from the orchestra sequences, it is the only live-action sequence in the whole movie.
- At the beginning of the Chinese Dance segment of “The Nutcracker Suite,” Hop Low, the little mushroom, does a little jump while criss-crossing his legs. Animator Art Babbitt got the idea from The Three Stooges – it’s one of Curly Howard’s signature moves.
- At 124 minutes in length, this is the longest Disney animated feature.
- The animators secretly modeled elements of the Sorcerer in “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” on their boss, Walt Disney. The raised eyebrow was regarded as a dead giveaway. They call the character Yen Sid, which is “Disney” spelled backwards.
- Early on, Walt Disney and Leopold Stokowski considered having fragrances dispersed into the theater at certain points in the movie to heighten the experience. Suggestions included cereus for “Claire de Lune,” jasmine for the “Waltz of the Flowers” segment of “The Nutcracker Suite,” incense for “Ave Maria,” and gunpowder for “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.” Disney dropped the idea because of the difficulty of clearing one scent from the theater before spraying in the next one. ***I think that would have cool**** Maybe they can do that for Philharmagic one day.