This week I am going to be sharing some trivia about the movies Dumbo and Saludos Amigos. My husband and I are on a quest to watch all the animated classics in order. I love the movie Dumbo; makes me cry every time and I have never seen Saludos Amigos. We are watching that tonight.
Dumbo (source IMDb)
- The only Walt Disney animated feature film that has a title character who doesn’t speak.
- In December 1941, Time magazine planned to have Dumbo on its cover to commemorate its success, but it was dropped due to the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- During production there was a long and bitter animators strike, in which half of the studio’s staff walked out. Some of the strikers are caricatured as the clowns who go to “hit the big boss for a raise”.
- The name of the circus (seen on a sign as the train leaves the winter headquarters) is WDP Circus (Walt Disney Productions).
- HIDDEN MICKEY: When the drunken Timothy is sliding down the staircase-shaped bubble Dumbo has blown, his laugh is actually that of Mickey Mouse. Also, when Timothy coughs on Jim Crow’s cigar smoke, that cough is also that of Mickey (it was specifically heard in both Giantland and Two-Gun Mickey).
Saludos Amigos (source IMDb)
- This was the first Disney Animated feature to be shown in South America before it was screened in the USA.
- At 42 minutes, this is the shortest Disney “feature” to date.
- This movie and The Three Caballeros were created by Disney in order to improve the United States of America’s relations with South American countries during World War II.
Never seen Saludos Amigos? Rent from Amazon! Amigos Rental