If you are looking for a meal full of flavor and very easy to make, my Slow Cooker Orange Chicken is a must try! This recipe is a frequent meal that pops up in my meal planner due to my husband loving it!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
I am so excited that it is officially fall! Even though I use my slow cooker all throughout the year because of the heat in Florida, I feel less guilty using it in the fall and winter. Probably because that is when most people in the north use theirs. This crockpot orange chicken is a huge hit in my home.
I use boneless/skinless chicken thighs for this recipe mainly because it is a cheap cut of meat and it is hard to overcook chicken thighs. If you prefer boneless/skinless chicken breasts, just reduce the cooking time a little bit so it doesn’t dry out. I would suggest a 3-4 hour cook time.
Don’t forget to make this meal even more frugal by couponing! Be sure to check out Checkout 51 for any frozen vegetable rebates that might be available. I adapted this recipe from Once a Month Meals. I usually make large batches of this and place in freezer bags, label, and then freeze them. I defrost the day before I am going to have it by placing it in the fridge.
I use my homemade applesauce in this recipe.
Quick Tip: Sometimes to thicken up the sauce in this recipe, I add in some cornstarch in the last half an hour. I might add about 1 tablespoon diluted in 1/4 cup water.
- 2 LBS Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 TBL salt
- 6 ounces Orange Juice Concentrate, Frozen
- 3 TBLS Honey
- 1/8 Cup Applesauce
- 1 TSP Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 TBL Ketchup
- 2 Cups Frozen Veggies (broccoli, stir fry mix, snap peas, etc.)
- Steamed Rice
- Combine the salt, OJ concentrate, applesauce, balsamic vinegar, and ketchup. Let come to room temperature and then mix in the honey.
- Place chicken in slow cooker or freezer bag(s) and cover with sauce mixture.
- Cook on low in slow cooker for 6 hours.
- In the last hour add about 2 cups of frozen vegetables of your choosing.
- Serve over steamed rice.