Skip to Content

Ringing in 2014 at the Magic Kingdom

Thank you for sharing!

So, I probably had a pretty horrible holiday week. I was sick most of Christmas Day.  My husband works two jobs and also goes to school which makes him super busy. Christmas day was the one day I had him all to myself and I was so sick. I didn’t make our special dinner (not that I could of eaten it) nor did we do anything we wanted to do on that day.  We ended up just watching a few more episodes of Once Upon a Time.

I continued to be sick until Saturday the 28th. I woke up on the 28th with excruciating pain in my chest and stomach. I was throwing up and dry heaving.  Since I was in so much pain I decided to go to the ER. After 13 hours there and tons of testing they think I either have a gall stone problem even though tests returned normal or GERD. I was given strong pain pills and anti nausea medicine and told to follow up with a G.I. doctor. So, I begin to process bad news #1. I was not going to be able to keep my reservations  at the Crystal Palace for New Years Eve. I was so bummed about this, but I don’t think my stomach could of handled that dinner. Bad news #2 because of the nausea and sickness my husband and I decided a wheel chair should be used so I don’t get sicker. Thankful we had the wheelchair anyways because New Years Eve morning, I sprained my ankle slipping in the shower. No dancing at the dance parties. 🙁 Super sad!

So here is how my New Years Eve went:

2:30am– Wake up and get ready to leave home by 4:00am (had to pick up my husband’s sister and her boyfriend as well)

4:30am– Start the drive to Orlando

6:00am– Arrive at Disney. Yes, I know park opened at 8 but lines were already forming and got worse by the minute. They opened the park up to everyone early at 7:45. EMH people got in at 7am.

7:45- 8am– Standing in line for bag check. We saw someone post a picture on a Disney fan board of the line much longer than we experienced so we felt fortunate our wait was only about 15 minutes.

8am– My husband picked up another set of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Cards. I had to play a portal before I got to get another set. Since we knew that the park would be busy we planned to play that game quite a bit.

8:15am– Rushed over to the Trading Post to grab the New Years Day Limited Edition Pin. The Mickey ball drops, it is really cute!


8:30 to 11:30am– We went to Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress, and the Laugh Floor. We also watched some of the Tomorrowland Dance Party with the Incredibles. With my ankle the way it was I couldn’t dance with them. Not many people where over there at that point so the party wasn’t horribly crowded. I was super sad about my ankle 🙁 My husband and I also played quite a few portals for the Sorcerers game.

11:30am to 12:30pm– Grabbed a spot across from the  Liberty Tree Tavern for the Christmas Parade. The spot was not horribly crowded like I imagine the Main Street area was.  The parade was nice.

12:30pm to 1pm– Grabbed a spot behind the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe to stop and have our picnic lunch. Since my tummy still had problems I got jello, pretzels, and applesauce. Such a blah lunch when you can smell such yummy Disney food.

1:15 to 4:00pm– We went to the Enchanted Tiki Room, the Hall of Presidents, pin traded, and played more portals.

4pm– Grabbed our fireworks spot across from the Rose Garden picture spot. The lower portion castle was partially blocked because of a tree, but finding a good spot on Main Street was impossible by this time. I could still see/hear the castle stage and was able to watch some of the holiday shows. My husband grabbed our free noise makers and hats and we enjoyed the shows and conversing with the people around us.

7pm to 9pm– Main Street Electrical parade. Pete was riding Elliot this time.  Pete’s Dragon is my favorite non-animated movie. I think I wore out the VHS as a kid. The last few times I had seen the parade Pete was missing. I wonder how many kids know who Elliot the Dragon is. Met a nice couple sitting next to us. My husband gave their little boy a Star Wars pin. He was so excited to receive it. We told his mom it was probably a scrapper my husband had grabbed and she said it matter little to her boy, he thought the pin was so awesome! I love spreading magic to others. Since it started raining a little bit and the crowds were scaring her kids, she left after the first Wishes performance.

9:15- 10:30pm– Met another great family that sat down next to us. We even played a celebrity name game with them for about a half an hour. I just love to meet new people.

10:30 until 11:30– Enjoyed the music of the stage DJ. Was slightly annoyed the the group of people 3 families down from me who thought their noise makers had better music than the DJ’s. They were playing their noise makers along to the music. Ughh…magic ruined a little bit for awhile there. Every time I got annoyed I just looked at the beautiful, sparkling castle and reminded myself how many people would love to be here and I am.

11:30pm to 12:15am– THE FUN STARTS!!! They play another Wishes and Celebrate the Magic. I personally thought the Frozen part was a little lack luster, but was super excited to see it included. We count down to 2014 with Mickey and Minnie and then WOW! 360 degrees of fireworks surrounding you lighting up the park. Kissing my prince felt so magical, I must really be Cinderella! This moment makes every line, hassle, and crowd melt away and only leaves magic behind. Even if you only do this once, you need to experience New Years Eve at the Magic Kingdom.

12:15-2:30am– Trying to leave. That is how long it took us to get out of the park, onto the ferry, and out of the parking lot. The parking lot was at a stand still. My husband got a few people laughing. The car in front of us change seats so it looked the the chinese fire drill. My hubby was about to yell that out until he realized they were asian and thought better. But then after maybe 20 minutes of not moving he got of the car and ran around it yelling. The guy in the car next to us started cracking up! So even in the lines, you can find magic. Tired and cranky magic, but still magic. I think we got to our hotel around 3:30am because the roads were all packed too and our hotel is right next to Downtown Disney.

Overall, my trip went great. My sister in law and her boyfriend were able to ride all the rides they wanted, and even with the crowds didn’t experience huge wait times because of planning. They utilized fast passes and had a plan before they went to the park. Each of our experiences were different and we both still had a blast.




Thank you for sharing!