You got all the deals, your cart is full and now you are ready to checkout. It is scary the first time you coupon. You are afraid of the dreadful “beep” of a coupon that won’t get accepted. You are afraid of taking too long or being stared at while saving all that money. Here are some simple tips to help you during the grocery store check out.
How to Checkout with Coupons
- Before you even get to the register, pull off to the side and organize your coupons. You might of brought coupons and found out that that deal wasn’t what you wanted after all so you don’t need those coupons. I am notorious for changing quantities,
- Organize your coupons in the following order:
- Any FREE coupon (something where the cashier needs to write the price in) Make sure you have that item near the end so they don’t have to check the entire order for it.
- Any total order coupons (ex. $5/$50) Some coupons say these must be presented last, so just check to see if it specifies. I have noticed my Publix doesn’t really care, so it varies by store.
- All Competitor Coupons
- All Manufacturers Coupons.
- Keep these handy but you do not need to hand to cashier until they scan everything.
- Next choose a friendly cashier. My experience has taught me to choose a young male cashier, they usually are really cool.
- Keep an eye on the register. Sometimes an item rings up wrong or you choose an item that wasn’t part of the deal and you thought it was.
- Hand the coupons to the cashier and watch your savings add up.
Do get nervous while couponing? Let me know your craziest couponing checkout experience in the comments!
You might also like: