I love homemade, from scratch food. I rarely buy frozen pretzels even if they are a really good deal at the store; I don’t find them as tasty as the mall pretzels. This homemade pretzel recipe hits the spot!
Homemade Pretzel Recipe
I discovered my second most used appliance (the breadmaker) way before I was married though it wasn’t until after my nuptials that I discovered homemade pretzels and bagels. This is my recipe for bread machine pretzels.
For any bread machine ingredients, they work best to be at room temperature. Bread machines work best when it is not extremely humid out.
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg-beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. flour
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- Add ingredients in order listed.
- Select Dough Program 1.5 lb. setting.
- Press Start
- Remove dough at end of cycle and portion into 12 equal portions.
- Place dough on lightly greased baking sheet and let rest 5-7 minutes,
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 18 in" rope. To shape into the pretzel shape, bend each rope into a circle, overlapping about 4 inches from each end leaving the ends free. Carefully lift ends across opposite edge of circle. Tuck ends under to make pretzel. You can also just cut into strips or bite size pieces.
- Place pretzels on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Optional: Glaze tops of dough with egg white and sprinkle with coarse salt,
- Bake in 425° F oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.