I grew up the with the traditional green bean casserole with the canned cream of mushroom soup, French’s French Fried onions, and canned green beans. Last year I kicked it up a bunch of notches like Emeril would say and made EVERYTHING from scratch including the onions. Here is the recipe for them. I had made them the day before but they are much better made fresh, if you have the time on Thanksgiving day. I rarely do or like watching the parade better.
- 3 large onions
- 2 cups milk
- oil (for frying)
- Soak the onions in the milk for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in the skillet or deep fryer.
- Take a handful of onions and run them through the flour with a fork to coat.
- Fry in batches in the oil, stirring as needed to brown evenly.
- Drain on paper towels and season to taste.
- Store in an air-tight container.