Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book for review purposes from The Intrepid Traveler. Regardless, all opinions are my own and I do not recommend products that I don’t think are a good fit for my readers.
Book Author: Steven M. Barrett
Book Genre: Non-Fiction: Travel
Number of Pages: 302 pages
Publisher: The Intrepid Traveler; 6th edition
My Rating: 5 /5
My husband has wanted Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World®’s Best Kept Secrets for a long time. I have a confession to make, I didn’t want it. I thought it would tell you exactly where the Hidden Mickeys were and take all the fun out of it. After several trips to Disney and not finding very many, I decided I would get a copy of the book. The book DOES NOT tell you exactly where the Hidden Mickeys are unless you look in the hints section. The Hidden Mickey book gives you clues as to where they are. Steve Barrett is extremely knowledgeable and I learned so much about Hidden Mickeys. I am itching to go back to Walt Disney World and make a day out of finding Hidden Mickeys.
Things I Loved about The Hidden Mickey Book:
- Steve Barrett starts off by giving you a proper definition of what a hidden Mickey is, how they started, and how he discovered them for the book. Did you know that you can help him? Find one not in the book, and if he verifies it. he credits you in the back of the book. I think that is pretty awesome!
- The Hidden Mickey book is made into a scavenger hunt game. Each Hidden Mickey is given a point value and Steve Barrett gives you clues on where to look. At the end of each chapter (park) he gives you a point total so you can see how well you did.
- Another thing I like about the book is that he gives you a touring plan and gives some helpful suggestions about restaurant picks and ride tips. Hopefully, he will come out with another version soon that includes FP+ and the recent changes to Walt Disney World.
- I liked that the HINTS section is clearly labeled. I glanced at the first part of hints about Magic Kingdom but did not want to read that part too carefully as I don’t want to spoil the game.
- I love that the book included hidden Minnie’s and other classic characters.
Just One Criticism with the Book:
- Since there is a game/score to keep. It would have been nice to have had an in-book checklist of sorts. I plan on making one for my next trip. I want to be able to keep track of ones that we have found. I can envision my husband and I getting pretty competitive in finding them, though he is better than me when spotting them.
Wait, there is even more!! An app! Hidden Mickeys: Disney World is an app that takes the mouse hunt to a whole new level. The app has the built in scoring I would like to have seen in the book, it also uses GPS tracking to help you locate Hidden Mickeys.
Be sure to pick up a copy of the Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World®’s Best Kept Secrets for your next trip!
I have also got a copy of Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World®’s Best Kept Secrets to giveaway. One winner will be chosen. Giveaway runs 7/29 until 8/8. Good luck!