Everyone has their favorite Fab Five Character. Though it all started with a Mouse, my heart is with Goofy. Goofy is a lovable, well-meaning original Disney character that reminds us to have fun and never take life so seriously. In this post, I am going to share fun facts about Goofy you may not know and his best cartoon shorts and movies. Let’s get Goofy!
Fun Facts about Goofy
I would have to say my love affair with Goofy started when I got married. People tend to pick their favorite characters based on their own personality or the personality of someone they love. My husband is a perfect “Goofy” and absolutely loved his Every Man cartoon shorts. Let’s take a look at Goofy’s history and fun facts.
- 1 What is Goofy?
- 2 When is Goofy’s Birthday?
- 3 What is Goofy’s Full Name?
- 4 Who is Goofy’s Wife?
- 5 What is The Goofy Holler?
- 6 Goofy has Made Appearances in Several Full-Length Disney Animated Movies
- 7 A Goofy Movie
- 8 An Extremely Goofy Movie
- 9 What is Goofy Currently Starring In?
- 10 10 Facts about Anna from Frozen
- 11 Snow White Trivia | Fun Facts about Disney's First Princess
- 12 Aristocats Movie Trivia | 7 Surprising Facts about Disney's Aristocats
- 13 Disney's Alice in Wonderland Trivia & Fun Facts
What is Goofy?
The first question people usually ask is what is Goofy? Goofy is an anthropomorphic dog, in other words, a dog who has human characteristics. Goofy is not a cow as many would believe, though he has dated ClaraBell Cow. Disney has not confirmed or made any mention to what breed of dog Goofy is, so that is left for us fans to debate.
When is Goofy’s Birthday?
Goofy first appeared on May 25th, 1932 in Mickey’s Revue cartoon short but he was not known as Goofy then, but Dippy Dawg. Dippy Dawg appears to be a little older than the Goofy we know now is but if you watch the short he still has Goofy’s laugh. Later in 1932, he became the Goofy we know now in a short called Whoopee Party.
By his seventh appearance, in Orphan’s Benefit first released on August 11, 1934, he gained the new name “Goofy” and became a regular member of the gang along with Donald Duck.
What is Goofy’s Full Name?
He was first Dippy Dawg, then got the name Goofy. Officially he is Goofy Goof. Other names he has been given include George Geef, G.G. Geef, and Goofus D. Dawg.
Who is Goofy’s Wife?
Being the only one of the Fab Five that has a son rather than nieces or nephews, it comes to reason that once upon a time Goofy had a wife. Goofy’s wife is Mrs. Geef. She did appear in several cartoon shorts but did not make an appearance in the Goof Troop cartoon, though her face is never shown. Goofy refers to himself as a single father. Disney has never released an official answer as to what happened to his wife. Just like his breed, this is something that is debated among fans.
What is The Goofy Holler?
One of the best things about Goofy is his holler. Since the 1941 cartoon short The Art of Skiing, Goofy has become famous for his signature holler “Yaaaaaaa-hoo-hoo-hoo-hooey!”
Goofy has Made Appearances in Several Full-Length Disney Animated Movies
Disney Easter Eggs are references to other Disney movies and or characters in a movie. Goofy makes appearances in the following Disney movies.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit?: Roger Rabbit is watching the cartoon short Goofy’s Gymnastics. Roger Rabbit laughs out loud with the cartoon, praises Goofy’s timing and finesse and claims he is a “genius.” Technically Roger couldn’t have watched that short though because“Who Framed Roger Rabbit” takes place in the year 1947, while Goofy Gymnastics was released in 1949.
- The Little Mermaid: At the beginning of the movie during King Triton’s entrance into the concert hall, down in the audience you can catch a quick glimpse of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy waiting to see Sebastian’s show.
- Aladdin: In one scene of Aladdin the Genie wears a Goofy Hat after he was freed by Aladdin and is ready to travel.
- Lion King 1 1/2: Goofy makes a silhouetted cameo at the end of The Lion King 1½. His only line was “Gawrsh!”, which he says when Stitch jumps on his head while making his way to his seat.
- Flubber: Goofy was briefly seen on Weebo’s monitor in the live-action film Flubber.
Top Goofy Cartoon Shorts
Want to really get to know Goofy? You need to watch the classic cartoon shorts. Here are some of my favorite ones.
- How to Swim (1942)
- Motor Mania (1950)
- Tomorrow We Diet (1951)
- How to Dance (1953)
- How to Sleep (1953)
- Aquamania (1961)
- How to Hook Up Your Home Theater (2007)
Another way to get to know Goofy is through his movies. While he does play parts in several Disney movies these movies below he is the star. He is the star of two full-length movies and we get to know his son Max a lot more. These movies are a spinoff from the short-lived cartoon series Goof Troop.
A Goofy Movie
This movie focuses on the relationship between Goofy and his son Max. Goofy wants to take his son on a father/son road trip and Max wants nothing more than to go to a Powerline concert. Goofy feels like he is “losing” Max after Max gets in trouble on his last day of school and think the road trip will bring them closer together. Goofy takes parenting advice from Pete, who of course is not really the best person to take advice from. Max is scared of becoming like Goofy in his mannerisms but in the end, realizes that Goofy loves him and that it is ok if he ends like him.
An Extremely Goofy Movie
In the Goofy Movie sequel, Max is all grown up and heading off to college. Like most parents, Goofy is just not ready to let go. Being lonely and depresses as an empty-nester he loses his job. In order to get a new one, he realizes he needs a college degree. So Goofy goes to the same college as Max and even dates someone. Max and Goofy continue to work out their relationship, finding a new balance.
What is Goofy Currently Starring In?
You can find Goofy in the new Disney shorts though I am not impressed at all by his Ren and Stimpy like appearance. He is also on Mickey’s Roadsters Racers and the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Disney Junior.
Goofy also hangs out all over the Disney World Property! See all the places you can meet Goofy HERE!
Did you learn a new fun fact about Goofy? What is your favorite Goofy cartoon, movie, or appearance? Let me know in the comments!