Eating healthier can sometimes mean having less food in your grocery cart and a higher total at checkout. Knowing when to make your shopping purchases will help to determine the cost that you eventually pay. Another thing that determines the amount at the checkout is your food choices. Here are some frugal shopping tips for healthier eaters that will not break your bank!
Healthier Frugal Shopping Tips
- Eat Before You Go Shopping- One of the most important things to do before you head out to pick up grocers is to go on a full stomach. This way you will be able to make informed decisions about what to purchase. Fattening foods and other unnecessary items will not find their way into your shopping cart.
- Choose More Grains, Pasta, and Rice- While at the grocery store, purchase different types of rice, pasta, and whole grain foods. These are rich in vitamins, nutrients and fiber. They also are a more natural food with the least amount of processing.
- Choose Omega 3 Eggs- Get some Omega3 into your system by purchasing Omega3 eggs. These are much healthier for you than the regular eggs. Remember that eggs are no longer just for breakfast. You could make a dinner meal with eggs, potatoes, and some salad greens.
- Buy Some Legumes- Head on over to the dried beans section and pick up some dried beans. Pinto, split peas, lima beans, kidney beans, white northern beans, as well as several others will be on the shelf. Dried beans are very economical and easy to prepare. All you need to do is soak the required amount of beans overnight to soften them up. Add them to a stock pot or pressure cooker and toss in some rice and seasonings. You could also add some meat to the pot or cook it separately. Eating a dish made from beans will provide your body with important nutrients, vitamins, and fiber. The meat will provide your body with protein.
- Seasonal Shopping- Purchase fresh fruit and vegetables when in season. During the winter months purchasing canned or frozen alternatives will save you some money.
Knowing what to buy and when to buy it will help you to save money on your grocery shopping. Following the above mentioned tips will help you to be prepared for shopping frugally and eat healthier. Don’t forget your coupons too!!!