I am a plus size girl and sometimes get frustrated when I see smaller women snag so many deals at thrift stores. I have realized though that the deals are out there, you just need to know what you are doing. Here are some thrifting tips that have helped me find some great bargains as a plus sized girl.
Thrifting Tips: Plus Size Edition
- Find your store(s). All stores receive plus size clothes. The difference is how they place them in the store. Is an area clearly marked plus size? Are sizes even separated at all? These are all things I look at when choosing a thrift store to shop in. Looking through racks and racks of clothes to maybe find one shirt that would fit me is not my idea of fun. After all that work, I may not even like it. My favorite thrift stores have a plus size section or their clothes are organized by size. Don’t be afraid to ask if they have the sizes separated.
- Try things on. Sometimes, especially if the tag is missing, the clothes really do fit. Make use of the fitting rooms. Sizes are different by each brand. Some stores I am a 24, some stores I am a 20.
- Don’t settle. If you really can’t find something you LOVE, then skip it. Just because it fits doesn’t mean you will end up wearing it.
- Skip the “when I lose weight” items. A closet full of small clothes doesn’t help you get clothes for today. Honestly, wouldn’t you want goal items to be new as an extra incentive to lose weight? I know I would.
- Shop in comfy clothes and flip flops. Shop in clothes that are easy to take off so that when you are trying on clothes, so it does not take an extra long time to undress and dress again. Wear a bra that is fitted correctly so that you can get an actual feel of how the clothes will actually look.
- Watch Sales. Shop on half off days. Many stores have colored tags on clothes and have a daily colored tag sale.
Also, check out 10 Things I Buy at Thrift Stores!
So, how do you approach thrift stores as a plus size gal?