This spring Dapper Day is my first. I wanted a Minnie Mouse Inspired Dapper look, so I started working on getting the look together for the lowest price possible. I found some cute dotted pink material at Walmart that would make the cutest circle skirt. The best part was that it was on clearance, so I got it for just $1.50/yard! Then I just had to figure out what to do for the top. I decided to convert a regular shirt that I found at a thrift store just just $1.50 into a DIY Rockabilly Halter Top.
- t-shirt or tank top
- accent material
- Fabric Scissors
- Needle & Thread or sewing machine
DIY Rockabilly Halter Top
- Lay shirt down and cut straight across the shirt under the arm holes.
- Turn the shirt inside out and fold and pin down the top of the material a 1/2 inch all the way across the top. Sew creating the hem.
- I decided to create a collar around the front. I drew this out on pattern paper and then cut accordingly. I am using a very thin fabric for my collar, so I also needed to back the collar with white fusing material. I started the collar at the side seams and had it finish in the middle.
- Create the cleavage. For this part put the shirt on and adjust to how much cleavage you want. A good place to start pinning it is mid breast. That way it is not too revealing. Pin together and then sew,
I love the way it turned out! I can see myself making many more of these. Below is a video tutorial (not mine) that gave me the idea for my shirt. Check it out!