Have some broken, forgotten crayons lying around? Use the force and turn those crayons into Darth Vader, the darkest one of all! Using crayons, a silicone mold, and an oven creating these DIY Darth Vader crayons is super simple. This craft would also make a great gift for any Star Wars fans in your life.
What You Will Need to Make Darth Vader Crayons
This activity uses few materials and is simple to do.
Crayons. While new crayons can be used, I personally prefer to use up old broken crayons. It’s cheaper and I don’t know about your house but there is always a bunch of old ones at the bottom of the crayon container.
Darth Vader Silicone Mold. The tray is less than $10 on Amazon.
Cookie Sheet. This can be optional but makes getting the mold out of the oven so much easier.
How to Make Star Wars Crayons
Prep Your Crayons Take the wrappers off the crayons, break them into small pieces that will fit into your mold, and organize them into color groups.
Let’s Make the Crayons. Preheat the oven to 325F. While you can do this in a regular oven I suggest you use a toaster oven in an outdoor space. This is because the melting crayon smell is pretty strong.
Place your silicone mold on a sturdy baking tray and place the crayons in the mold. You can put just one color in each Vader mask but you could also make galaxy crayons and mix the colors a bit.
***Tip*** Lightly spray the mold with cooking spray so they are easier to pop out and wipe them off after cooling.
Baking Time. Melt the crayons in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until completely melted. You can use a toothpick to ensure there are no lumps or air bubbles remaining in the “new” crayons. Allow the crayons to cool completely before attempting to remove them from the mold.
Alternate Method for Making Crayons
When I was a teacher I did this activity with my students. I didn’t have access to an oven so I used a crockpot. I would use tin cans. The cans were washed and the label was taken off. Each can would be a color. The crockpot was used as a double boiler. I would add a couple of inches of water and then put the cans filled with crayons inside. The heated water will melt the crayons. Then I would pour the melted crayons into the molds.
You May Also Like:
- Looking for another way to use this Darth Vader Mold? Check out how to make Homemade Darth Vader Soap.
- The Best Star Wars Recipes
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Printable Activities
- Darth Vader Silicone Ice Tray
- Cookie Sheet
- Peel the wrappers off all of the crayons.
- Sort the crayons by color.
- Break the crayons into small pieces that will fit inside your mold.
- Place broken crayon pieces inside each cavity of your mold.
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- Place the silicone mold on a sturdy cookie sheet.
- Melt the crayons in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until completely melted. You can use a toothpick to ensure there are no lumps remaining in the crayons.
- Allow the crayons to cool completely before attempting to remove them from the mold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.