As officials worldwide try to figure out how to combat coronavirus (COVID-19), closings and cancellations caused by the virus are closing down Disney Parks and other Central Florida Tourist attractions.
Central Florida Theme Park Closing Dates
- Walt Disney World Resort theme parks, water parks, miniature golf courses, and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex to close March 16th with no reopen date announced. As of now that also means Disney transportation and all resort and Disney Springs dining locations are open. Disney will continue to pay Cast Members through April 18th.
- Skyliner is closed starting March 16th.
- All Disney World Resorts will close on March 20th at 5 pm.
- All Disney operated Disney retail locations will be closed as of the March 17th, this includes individual Disney Stores and locations at Disney Springs.
- Swan & Dolphin Resorts are closing March 17th.
- Disney’s Vero Beach is closing March 20th at 5pm.
- Disney Springs AMC Theater – is closed
- Disney Springs Store Closures – All Stores and Restaurants are closed.
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique – Disney Springs and Grand Floridian locations both closed
- Disney College Program – Disney will be ending all Disney College Program participant programs and sending participants home once the theme parks close due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) next week. Disney will be closing many of the Disney Program housing complexes and requires Disney College Program participants to be out by March 18th.
- Universal Orlando Resort to close Mar. 15 until at least April 19th.
- Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Adventure Island, and SeaWorld Orlando have closed with no opening date announced. SeaWorld has furloughed 90% of their employees. Ticket Refunds- Domestic single-day tickets that expire during the period that the parks are closed will be extended through December 31, 2020. Internationally purchased single-day tickets that expire during the period that the parks are closed will be extended through the first week of 2022. Active annual passes, season passes, and membership products to SeaWorld and Busch Gardens parks will be automatically extended for a length of time at least as long as the temporary closure period. No action is required on your part.
- LEGOLAND® Florida Resort will temporarily close from Sunday, March 15 through April 14th, 2020
- Bok Tower Gardens is closed with no opening date announced.
How to Handle Your Disney Vacation Plans
Please remember phone wait times will be long (Great reason to use a travel agent). so if your vacation is not in the next 2 weeks please consider calling closer to your vacation start time. Also, please be kind to the Cast Members who have no control over anything Disney executives choose to do regarding closing procedures and dates.
▪️Unexpired multi-day theme park tickets with unused days, or date-specific theme park tickets with a start date on or before March 31, 2020 will automatically be extended to use any date through December 15, 2020.
▪️If you are unable to visit by December 15, 2020, you may apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for a future date.
▪️Florida Resident Discover Disney Tickets may be used through July 31, 2020.
▪️Guests who have purchased tickets for Disney After Hours, Disney Villains After Hours and Disney Early Morning Magic from March 16, 2020 through April 18th, 2020 will be automatically refunded.
▪️Annual Passes will be extended by the number of days the parks are closed.
Your membership will be extended as many days as the shutdown continues at Walt Disney World.
Should you decide to cancel an impacted Disneyland Resort or Walt Disney World Resort stay – by phone or online, vacation points used for that resort reservation will be returned to your current use year, meaning they will not be placed in a holding account or forfeited. Similarly, cancelling an impacted Disney Collection reservation will return those reservation points to you immediately for your future use as reservation points.
Regarding future WDW stays:
▪️Guests who have not checked in for stays between March 16, 2020 through April 18th, 2020 may modify or cancel their Disney Resort room reservation or Walt Disney Travel Company package up to their original check-in date.
If no action is taken, Disney will automatically process a refund to the original form of payment within seven days of the original check-in date. If you did not book through Disney directly, be sure to contact your travel professional.
-What to do if you want to cancel after the parks reopen:
▪️They will waive all Disney imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in through June 30, 2020.
Dining & Other Experiences:
-If you have a pre-paid dining reservation or experience reservation like Droid Depot during the time when the parks are closed:
▪️All pre-paid dining and experience reservations will be automatically refunded if scheduled between March 16, 2020 through April 18, 2020.
-Regarding dining reservations that required a credit card at the time of booking: Reservations made at locations impacted by the closure will not be charged a cancellation or no-show fee.
We will, of course, continue to keep you updated as more details are announced.
Other Disney Related Cancellations, Delays, and Information
“Mulan” was supposed to hit theaters March 27, while “The New Mutants” was scheduled for an April 3 release date and “Antlers” was supposed to open April 17. All three are delayed.
Several Disney on Ice Shows have been canceled or rescheduled. Please check DisneyonIce.com to see if your performance has been affected.
Disney Cruise Line will suspend all new departures beginning March 14 through the end of the month.
On the plus side, Frozen 2 is being released on Disney Plus beginning March 15th.
Disney is committed to helping you keep healthy while at the parks. Guests can find the locations of hand sanitizer stations, hand washing stations, and COVID-19 info in My Disney Experience App.
Bonus Tip: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like Favorite Grampy’s Travels. I’ll help you get the best price for your vacation, share expert advice, and my services are totally FREE! Click Here to Get a no-obligation quote now 🙂