Florida has been kind of cold for being the Sunshine State. I don’t mind because I am originally from Michigan. My husband though is a Florida boy and has been not doing well in these cold snaps. One of his favorite things on a cold day is soup. I made him my chicken noodle soup and it hit the spot.
Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
I would like to apologize in advance for the simpleness of this recipe. For some things, I don’t follow a recipe per se. Some cooking is better when you fly by the seat of your pants. Sometimes I add garlic, sometimes I add thyme, sometimes, red pepper flakes.
The best part of home cooking is that you can make a recipe yours. The basis of chicken noodle soup is chicken and chicken broth. What else you put into it is up to you, here is my favorite version.
I always crave chicken soup when the weather gets chilly or I start getting signs of a cold. Chicken soup has so many healing properties!
Chicken thighs are my usual chicken choice for soups and casseroles because it is a budget-friendly pick and it is hard to overcook dark meat.
Tips for Making an Amazing Chicken Soup
- Make your own Chicken and or Vegetable Stock. Check out this Chicken Stock recipe from Spend With Pennies.
- Don’t overcook the veggies. You want them to be cooked, but not mushy.
- If your stove has a simmer setting, use that once your soup comes to the first boil.
- Soup is lunchbox friendly, just serve in a thermos.
- Soup is also freezer friendly, just leave out the noodles before freezing. When you reheat the soup, cook the noodle separately and add them at the end.
- 1 LB Boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 in. chunks
- 1 TBL Butter
- 1 quart water
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 quarts reduced sodium chicken stock
- seasonings- salt, pepper
- 1/2 LB Egg Noodles
- Cover Chicken in 1 quart of water in a large pot. bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Saute' the onions in the butter in a small pan until onions are translucent. Transfer to the soup pot.
- Add the chicken stock, carrots, celery to the soup pot.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Simmer for 30 minutes so all the flavors can really blend together.
- Add egg noddles and cook for additional 8-10 minutes until noodles are done.
Cuisinart 766-24 Chef's Classic 8-Quart Stockpot with Cover
Silver Buffalo WW0224 DC Comics Wonder Woman Uniform Soup Mug, 24-Ounces
Silver Buffalo DP114633 Disney's Little Mermaid Princess Ariel Moonlight Ceramic Soup Mug, 24 oz, Multicolor
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.