For the month of April I am participating in a Blogging A-Z Challenge. I am supposed to blog a topic with each letter of the alphabet for the entire month, minus Sundays. I am putting a Disney Twist on it and blogging about Disney characters, rides, movies, and attractions that begin with each letter. Some days will be easy some will be more difficult as I try to come up with something for that letter. If you are a blogger, come join me in this challenge or check out what other bloggers are bloggers are blogging about by clicking here.
Jiminy Cricket is such a helpful character in both Disney films and Once Upon a Time. I love how he is a psychologist on Once Upon a Time. I majored in psychology in college.
Here are some awesome tidbits you might now know concerning Jiminy Cricket courtesy of the Disney Wikia.
- Jiminy’s name also has an interesting backstory. “Jiminy Cricket(s)!” was originally a polite expletive euphemism for Jesus Christ. I never knew that. I am glad that it is not widely known or commonly used today. I don’t think one should even say that phrase even politely, though Jiminy Cricket is not directly disrespecting God.
- Being an official conscience, Jiminy is rather wise and optimistic. He can be a bit aggressive when upset, but means well. That kind of fits my personality to a T. I get on my husband’s case a lot but it is because I love him.
- Jiminy Cricket is also in the movie Fun and Fancy Free. I love the scene where is playing with the 2 bears before the Bongo scene. If you haven’t seen that movie you should add it to your list- it is very good!
- Jiminy hosts many Disney television specials. In a recurring segment of the children’s television series Mickey Mouse Club, he taught a generation how to spell e-n-c-y-c-l-o-p-e-d-i-a.
- In the 1960s and 1970s, Jiminy Cricket appeared in two different series of educational films aimed at grade-school-aged audiences. In the “I’m No Fool” series, he advised children how to steer clear of dangerous traffic, sharp objects, strangers, exposed electrical lines, and so forth.
- Jiminy appeared in Mickey’s Christmas Carol as the Ghost of Christmas Past. (The badge given to him by the Blue Fairy at the end of Pinocchiomarking him as an official conscience now declares him to be the Ghost of Christmas Past.) Scrooge is perplexed at his size, but Jiminy shoots back at him that if he were measured by his amount of kindness, “you’d be no bigger than a speck of dust!”
- On Once Upon a Time. In Storybrooke, he is Dr. Archie Hopper, the town’s psychotherapist. He owns a Dalmatian named Pongo and is frequently seen carrying an umbrella, like he does as a cricket in the Enchanted Forest. He is also good friends with Marco, who is actually Geppetto. Unfortunately, he has been killed off. 🙁
What is your favorite things about Jiminy? I want to get a picture with him at Disney World someday!